- 2018-10-17 On 17 October at 10.00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in a meeting of the Seimas Committee on Foreign Affairs
- 2018-10-17 On 17 October at 1.00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in a Government meeting and sitting
- 2018-10-17 to 2018-10-18 On 17-18 October, the Vice-Minister Albinas Zananavičius is attending the European Council in Brussels, as part of the delegation led by the President of Lithuania
- 2018-10-17 On 17 October at 11.00 a.m., the Vice-Minister Neris Germanas is meeting with members of the Greek-Lithuanian Parliamentary Friendship Group
- 2018-10-18 On 18 October at 9.00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is welcoming participants of the Eastern Partnership Youth seminar at the Foreign Ministry
EU General Affairs Council discusses the European Commission's proposals for the new multiannual financial framework
On 14 May, the Vice-Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Albinas Zananavičius participated in the EU General Affairs Council in Brussels, which discussed the Commission‘s proposals for the multiannual financial framework (MFF) post 2020, and ministers had a round of discussions. On 2 May, the Commission proposed a long-term budget of €1,135 billion in commitments over the period from 2021 to 2027. The modern EU budget is 3% higher than the current MFF. The Commission ambitiously aims to have an agreement before the European Parliament elections in May 2019.
"In the preparation of a long-term budget, the EU‘s strategic cohesion and agricultural policies remain important for Lithuania. Therefore, the Commission's proposed reduction of funding in these areas calls for further negotiations. At the same time, it is extremely important to secure funding for strategic infrastructure projects, including the Rail Baltica project and the synchronisation of the Baltic states' electricity network with the European system," said A. Zananavičius. The Foreign Vice-Minister drew the Commission‘s attention to the foreseen funding of the decommissioning of the Ignalina Nuclear Power Plant in its proposal and noted that it must be ensured also in the future.
For more information about the General Affairs Council, please read here.