- 2018-11-12 to 2018-11-14 On 12-14 November, the Political Director Asta Skaisgirytė is participating in trilateral political consultations of Lithuania, Ireland and Ukraine and is holding bilateral meetings in Kyiv
- 2018-11-14 On 14 November at 10:00 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is attending a meeting of the Seimas Committee on Foreign Affairs
- 2018-11-14 On 14 November at 1:00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in the Government meeting and sitting
- 2018-11-14 On 14 November at 10:00 a.m., the Vice-Minister Darius Skusevičius is taking part in the conference “Innovative Energy Solutions for Military Applications” (IESMA 2018)
- 2018-11-14 On 14 November at 8:30 a.m., the Vice-Minister Neris Germanas is meeting with Henrik Mygal Nordentoft, Regional Representative of the UNHCR Regional Representation for Northern Europe
Lithuania and Brazil sign an intergovernmental agreement on the transfer of convicts
The Intergovernmental Agreement on the Transfer of Sentenced Persons was signed at a bilateral meeting between the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Linas Linkevičius and the Brazilian Foreign Minister Aloysio Nunes Ferreira on 26 September in New York, U.S.A. The meeting was organized at the margins of the 73rd Session of the UN General Assembly, which was attended by Lithuania’s Foreign Minister.
This agreement is a very important document for Lithuania and Brazil, which attaches meaning to bilateral cooperation and assistance in the field of criminal justice and the countries‘ mutual respect for the principles of human rights. The agreement will allow for a closer cooperation between the Ministries of Justice of Lithuania and Brazil in all areas related to the transfer of convicted persons.
The bilateral ministerial meeting also addressed relevant issues of mutual relations, the EU-Latin America relationship, cooperation within the UN and other international organizations.
Minister L. Linkevičius stressed the importance of bilateral political, economic, cultural and social ties between Lithuania and Brazil. Both Foreign Ministers welcomed activities of the largest Brazilian-based Lithuanian community in Latin America, which extremely actively contributed to the development of cultural relations between Lithuania and Brazil, and promoted Lithuania's name in Brazil.
Diplomatic relations between Lithuania and Brazil were established in 1931. They were re-established in 1991. In 2013, Lithuania opened its Consulate General in São Paulo. Lithuania has its Honorary Consulates in São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro.
Photo by Artir Max/AIG-MRE